Monday, January 27, 2014

Advertising on Steroids

I have always had a thing for NOT wearing clothing with brands plastered across them.

So I actually have a drawer full of tee shirts that are completely solid in color. This is of course very drab, dull and boring (but I don't have to tell you that, right?).

So I started hunting for graphic teeshirts with pictures only. BTW they are very hard to find at reasonable prices. The reason they are so scarce has always been a bit obvious to me...the companies that make them WANT YOU to be their billboard. So they reward you with low cost shirts that say Old Navy or other.

It should be this simple...but there are actually some companies that charge you *outrageous* fees for a regular shirt! Companies such as Abercrombie, or Banana Republic, etc... and I'm sure there are many, many new brands that are out these days that cost tons more. But I won't have it! I won't be your billboard!



So when I saw this article I just had to say, this guy got it right. Jason Sadler took advertising to whole nuther level...he gets companies to actually pay him to wear their shirts! Read it and see what I mean...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/jobs/ill-be-your-billboard.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20140127&_r=1

I'm not sure, but I think this whole advertising thing has gone way too far. What do you think? Will you wear their shirt? If so are you charging enough?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you heard about the guy who was paid several thousand dollars to get a tattoo of the logo of a local radio station - on his forehead. He did. About a year later, the station changed formats, music, and - yes - logos. Today, he advertises a product that no longer exists, with a very public area, with no way to change the message. He, clearly, didn't charge enough.

    ReplyDelete