Thursday, October 21, 2010

iheaven


No I am not hooked on Apple …I don’t drink the Kool-Aid and I can see deficiencies because of it.


The iPad was a substitute for a second laptop (my dear wife hates it when I come home and need to use the computer that she has had all day to use (smile). So it was a choice between a cheap windows pc (plenty of past experience is why I didn’t go for this one), a new Mac at $1100 or an iPad for $500. I took the plunge knowing full well that there would be a learning curve and that there would be some things I couldn’t do, but at least it would afford some break from wresting away the Mac from my dear wife.



It was a good decision…I use the machine for about 5-10 mins to check my email and do a blog post or a quick browse, then turn it off. It gets about 9-10 hours of battery life so I never have to worry about it being charged. I also have started to download books (now that I don’t have a house to maintain I actually have time to read). It is a great device for all of these things – I love the touch experience with the big screen. Cropping pictures and browsing the web are simple tasks. I like throwing it in my bag when traveling and being able to read the entire flight while listening to my music library. I can download games (but I haven’t yet) to remain occupied at the airport, etc.

The big downside was the lack of flash, which I really need for a website that I manage our finances with. I also would have liked a front facing camera for Skype with my daughter in Brazil…she is in the states now so the need is not present, but will be in the future…I am thinking of hooking my TV up for that since it will provide a bigger screen. So I am learning to adapt to the new world at home and so far I like it...and no mor fighting since me dear wife hates it...but that's another blog.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments: