Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Social "Not"work

I'm embarking on a new journey, myself this year...one that I hope will fix a broken part of my life.

Before I describe this trip, let me tell you what is broken.  My social network!  I have started and failed at blogging a few times (the history of this blog tells that story without me saying it).  But that is just the beginning.  I have a LinkedIn "professional network" and Facebook "friends", Twitter "followers" (and I'm following others, too), at work we have Chatter and Yammer.  I'm getting dizzy with all these whacho names!  Thank goodness I dont do Pin-er-de-do-da or whatever you call it.

All of these are broken.  When I say broken, I mean useless!   Im connected with everyone I dont care about, and seeing so much junk I dont read, that I can't connect to anyone or read anything, or comment about anyone I really care for!  Hey, I get so much nonsense that I don't even go on these sites or bother at all...I'm just back to plain old Yahoo! email...from the 80's.  UGH!

So, its time for this ol' geeet to get into the correct decade.  I've been weeding out my contacts, getting rid of feeds from anyone I don't communicate with at all outside of these new mediums.  That is at least until I can start reading, AND responding to the people that i really DO care about.  (And in a timely manner too, I might add.)  I even signed up for a service called blogtrottr http://blogtrottr.com that will email me updates from blog updates from my grown kids, who write wonderfully and have such good insights, I might add!   

Now over the past week I've been better at communicating across most of these sites.  I feel more abreast of what's happening with my children and grandchildren, my nephews and nieces.  And I've even commented a few times (one small step for man...)

That's it.  That's my goal for this year as it relates to social networking.  Now you will notice that I did not say I would start blogging again.  I dont have aspirations anywhere near that high.  If it happens, great - if not this one will have to do.  For now I'll keep my stretch goal a bit lower - I'll tweet or FB status once in a while to become a player...If I suceed maybe next year I'll shoot for MVN (Most Valuable Networker! HAHA)

2 comments:

  1. That's a great goal, Dad. I really appreciate you taking the time to read our blogs. Especially since I know most of what I write about is just the day to day happenings....not all that exciting! I must say I think you're VERY ambitious to even have all those networking accounts!!! Facebook got to be too much "noise" in my life for me.....and I know I'd have no self control with Pinterest so it's plain old 80's yahoo email and blogging for me. By the way, last night at dinner, Charlotte requested calling Popi. Let's facetime soon. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Signing up to get blogs in your email sounds like a great idea! I'm glad to be on fb to get to enjoy hearing from you as you embark on this new plan. And if all else fails, there is always skype to keep in touch. You can't escape us kids!

    ReplyDelete