Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What I do

I have been asked so many times by family members to describe what I do at work. It's a technical job and hard to explain.

Once when the girls were young, I brought them in for "Take Your Daughter to Word Day" (notice daughter didn't have an "s" at the end. I frankly can't remember which of you girls came). I gave them a tour and they participated in the group activities, but when those were done they spent the rest of the day on my swivel chair doing stuff at my desk (you can imagine the chaos) while I attempted to work. I'll never forget the report at the dinner table that evening.

Mom - did you have fun today?
Girls - oh yeah!
Mom - So what do you think your father does for work?
Girls - Oh, he has a great job! He plays on the computer, talks on the phone, eats lunch and goes to the gym!

Even recently when Vickie has been asked what I do, she is almost at a loss for words even though I've described it several times. I'm not sure I can blame her, really. And since she listens from the other room when I'm on conference calls from time to time, she says it sounds like this:

Bruce - The ABC gets connected to the XYZ, and then...(she only hears my half of course).

Well, it's not really like that, you know. In fact, this week I came upon a great video that aptly describes this kind of technical work (or at least what it sounds like to her) which I just had to post. Enjoy!

The Turbo Encabulator (you won't want to miss this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Cute! Jeyson esp loved it an watched multiple times :). This post brought back memories...though i thought we were finally going to find out what you really do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fondly remember Take Your Daughter to Work Days!!!! I love you, Dad!

    ReplyDelete